It just starts from just one peg at night to wind down from a breakup or a stressful day at work. Then, over a period of time, a bottle of alcohol is always available in the house to bust stress to get through the day and makes everything more tolerable. But, in no time the stash of alcohol becomes a severe addiction. Especially during the ongoing pandemic, when people are isolated from real world, the frequency of alcohol consumption has increased even more.
An occasional glass of beer with dinner isn’t cause for concern, the cumulative effects of drinking wine, alcohol, beer or spirit can take a toll.
Here are a few consequences of regular alcohol consumption:
- Brain shrinkage: If you booze, your brain starts changing and becomes smaller. Too much alcohol shrinks your brain and severely affects your ability to think, learn and remember things. It also becomes harder to keep a steady body temperature and control movements. That’s why quitting alcohol is important in order to live a healthy life.
- Sleepless nights: Alcohol slow – down effects your brain adversely and makes you feel drowsy. You are not able to sleep properly and leave you tossing and turning. Once the effects wear off, your body needs to feel restored. You would probably wake up more often and trips to bathroom even get more.
- Stomach acid: Booze irritates the lining of stomach and makes your digestive juices flow. You get nauseated and painful sores called ulcers get developed in stomach. That’s why long – term drinkers often don’t get all the nutrients they require.
- Diarrhea and heartburn: Alcohol throws off normal speed that food moves through them. That’s why hard drinking leads to diarrhea which get turned into long – term problem. It relaxes the muscles that keep acid out of esophagus.
- Liver issues: When you heavily drink, your liver has to handle a lot of toxins. Heavy drinking makes the organ fatty and thicker. This limits the blood flow, so that liver cells don’t need to survive.
- Pancreas damage: Normally, this organ makes insulin and other chemicals that help intestines break down your food. Along with toxins from alcohol, they cause inflammation in the organ which leads to serious damage. After years, a person won’t be able to make the insulin you need.
- Heartburn: Heartburn is a burning sensation in your chest that often occur a bitter taste in your throat or mouth. Alcohol can really make your heart out. Over time, it causes heart muscles to get stretched. It is not able to pump blood properly and hence impact every part of the body.
Seeing the above problems of alcohol consumption, it is really important that people should put in their best efforts of quitting alcohol. Here are some of the benefits of quitting alcohol:
- You sleep better: Even drinking once or twice a day can bring havoc to your sleep schedule. Then, you can imagine what would be the effect of alcohol on regular drinkers? But quitting alcohol can help people sleep better. This habit improves the production of melatonin and tells your body when to sleep and when to wake up. With the balanced hormones, you won’t wake up in the middle of the night.
- You lose weight: Have you ever noticed your clothing fits you lose if you don’t consume alcohol for a week or so? That’s because when you cut out alcohol’s empty calories, your body cuts out 100 or 200 calories per serving. You can start with simply eliminating weekend binges & nightly cocktails and you can see the change. You will be potentially able to shed a couple of pounds by month’s end.
- You improve digestion: When you take alcohol more than equation, then your liver functioning gets disturbed. But when you stop alcohol consumption, then you experience benefit of quitting alcohol, i.e. your liver inflammation settles down and your digestion is improved. This further produces nutrients and sends them to various parts improving the functioning of various body parts.
- Your mood stay stable: When you experience mental health issues, then you’re likely to experience change in mood. Right after a glass of wine, you’re more argumentative or overly aggressive. But when you stay yourself alcohol free, your body doesn’t have to worry about carrying toxic materials. A person experiences higher energy level, an increased ability to focus, clarity of mind and a cheerful attitude. Feelings of depression and anxiety disappear on their own when you quit. Staying positive is definitely one of the best benefits of quitting alcohol.
- You take better decisions: Alcohol has a major impact on the frontal lobe and it impacts your decision making abilities. However, overtime, when your frontal lobe will regenerate, you are able to make better decisions in all the areas of your life.
- Your skin looks youthful: Even one night overindulgence into alcohol takes a toll on your appearance. But in case you avoid alcohol, your skin gets return to normal healthy state making you look youthful and fresh. You will feel happier when you look yourself at mirror.
- You control your life in a better way: When alcohol consumption reduces or gets eliminated from your daily life, you feel a sense of accomplishment. You can better focus on your goals and dreams. You live your life in your way and enjoy every moment with your loved ones.
- Decreased risk of cancer: Drinking problems not only increase your chances of experiencing heart problems, but also increases the chances of cancer which includes liver cancer. But moment a person decides quitting alcohol; he/she reduces the risk of cancer.
The problem with alcohol doesn’t start when you drink it in moderation. But the issue arises when someone crosses the limit of alcohol drinking. One must try his/her best for quitting alcohol and cope with life challenges that you have little control over.
In case you or your loved one has an alcohol problem, then it is important to join a professional alcohol detox program before the symptoms of alcohol become severe. Here at Anatta Humanversity, we help you reap benefits of quitting alcohol and go through the recovery process from next day.